Pupils have the confidence to easily express themselves in the Spanish language whilst providing an opening to another culture. Spanish teaching and learning will foster pupils’ curiosity and deepen their understanding of the world.
At Grove Vale, Spanish is taught in KS2 with a follow up extension to complete in between lessons. It is taught with the support of the ‘La Jolie Ronde’ scheme and ‘Language Angels’ to help support teaching in an interactive way. The progression of skills and content has been planned out over Key Stage 2. The teaching of Spanish began in September 2018 and is being rolled out to KS2 over a 4-year programme. In addition to a wide range of practical lessons, children have the opportunity to attend additional lunchtime clubs with an expert language teacher.
Links to school life
At Grove Vale, we envisage our Spanish curriculum impacting the pupils in the following ways:
• extend their knowledge and understanding of Spain and Spanish speaking countries;
• improving memory, increase attention span and boost problem solving skills;
• compare similarities and differences between different cultures;
• understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of sources;
• speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity through discussion. Ask questions and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation;
• write for different purposes and audiences using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt.